Saturday, March 19, 2011

performing

I've always heard of it, but I've never actually had it. I've been scared before, and even after, I've performed before people. But somehow, my nerves are right at home in front of people. Today I had an audition for a piano camp. I was so nervous this morning that I could not feel anything. I was so nervous on the way to Raleigh, that I could hardly think. I was so nervous practicing, that my fingers trembled and I couldn't play. But when I was called back by the man who was judging, I wasn't nervous at all. Of course, I didn't play perfectly, and I felt like an idiot answering some of his questions, but I got through without looking petrified.
Once, I was in a play, and I was so nervous I was shaking before I went onstage. Onstage, I didn't even notice the crowd. Offstage, I started shaking all over again. It seems strange that what I'm scared of isn't scary, but I'm scared before and after I do it.
It doesn't matter if you're scared, though. Just do your best. That's all that's important. It's what I learned with this audition today. Nobody cares if you mess up, just so you have the guts to go on at all. Performing isn't something to be scared of, it's something to be looked forward to. To show the world what you've got!
It helps to have some safe hideaway in your brain. Pretend like you're all alone. And then it doesn't matter.
Enjoy yourself no matter what you do. Do it for the glory of God, and everything will work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment